Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Social Media

Social media can be defined as a group of Internet-based applications that build on the ideological and technological foundations of Web 2.0.  It also allows for the creation and exchange of user-generated content.

There are six different types of social media:



Within the past ten years, social media has completely revolutionized the way that we live.  As a result, it affects the way that students learn. In a study conducted by the American Library Association in 2008, it was discovered that elementary, middle and high schools are beginning to treat social media tools as an essential part of preparing students for the 21st century. Some key findings included:

  • 53% of elementary, middle and high schools use some sort of collaborative tools to aid in instruction.
  • 50% of schools use intranet within their school community.
  • More than 41% of schools use podcasts.
  • 29% of schools use blogs as an instructional platform.
  • Although not extensively used, tools like online instruction and social book marking are popular with almost 20% and more than 15% of schools using some form of these tools, respectively.
  • Integrating social networking tools into instruction is widely accepted by public and private schools alike.

In ”Social Networking Goes to School,” Michelle Davis relays the following about social media. 

“Just a few years ago, social networking meant little more to educators than the headache of determining whether to penalize students for inappropriate activities captured on Facebook or MySpace. Now, teachers and students have a vast array of social-networking sites and tools--from Ning to VoiceThread and Second Life--to draw on for such serious uses as professional development and project collaboration. Educators who support using social networking for education say it has become so ubiquitous for students--who start using sites like Webkinz and Club Penguin when they are in elementary school--that it just makes sense to engage them this way. Though teachers and students are now pushing learning beyond the borders of the classroom through social networking, that move also comes with hurdles, including the fact that many schools still block access to such sites within their walls.”

Since most public schools in fact block most social media tools, how can educators incorporate them into their curriculum?  Is it necessary for educators to incorporate them?  


To be able to promote and teach 21st century skills, 
using social media tools are necessary for education!
 
Here are some examples of how educators incorporated them into their classrooms and media centers:

  • Silvia Rosenthal Tolisano is the 21st-century-learning specialist at the private, K-8 Martin J. Gottlieb Day School in Jacksonville, Fla. In January 2009, Tolisano launched her "Around the World With 80 Schools" project. The goal was to introduce her school's students to peers in countries around the globe. She built a social-networking site using Ning for teachers from all countries who wanted to participate, eventually attracting 300 members. Tolisano set up a meeting between classes using Skype. Students prepared a list of questions like “What's the weather like there?” “How big is your town or city?” “What continent are you on?”   They then chatted with students in Canada, Finland, New Zealand, and Spain, among a long list of others. Tolisano’s students had different jobs to do during the call. One was a photographer, documenting the meet-and-greet. Others placed the location of the class they're talking with on a Google map. Other students served as Twitter "backchannelers," who sent out tweets as the live event was happening. Other classes added "fact checkers," who go back to make sure the information provided is accurate. "It creates a global awareness that there is a wider world out there and that we are not alone," Tolisano says. "They find it's just as easy to collaborate with a class in England as with the class next door.

  • At New Milford High School in New Jersey, the school's official Facebook page keeps its 1,100 fans updated on sports events and academic achievements. In addition, students who traveled to Europe for a tour of Holocaust sites blogged daily about their experiences, and received comments from all over the world.  The principal, Eric C. Sheninger, uses Twitter as a way to communicate with parents but also a professional development tool for his teachers.

  • Project K-Nect, a grant-funded program that uses smart phones as teaching tools in a handful of North Carolina school districts, allows students to instant-message their peers and teachers with questions on math homework at any time of the day or night. Students can also post questions and answers to school math blogs, where a student struggling with algebra could find several classmates willing to walk him or her through a problem or even post video of the best way to solve it.

  • Twitter has become a hot spot for educators to find professional development and resources. One of the most popular types of educator events on Twitter are "EdChats".  The chats are one-hour conversations that take place every Tuesday around a particular topic. The page is the brainchild of several educators.

  • Shelly Terrell, who is currently teaching in Germany at the German-American Institute, had her kindergartners create a book in VoiceThread with a kindergarten class in Turkey. The young students drew "pages" and then spoke into a microphone to record parts of the story.

7 comments:

  1. I found these statistics to be very interesting. I had no idea that social media has become so popular amongst younger aged children. Then again, when you mentioned Webkinz, it totally made sense to me. My nephew LOVES his webkinz, and he plays online games with his webkinz with his friends at school. I had never considered that a form of social media, but of course it is!

    I really loved the idea of collaborating with schools around the world. What a powerful lesson in research and culture that could be. I know that Cartersville High School also has students who travel abroad during the summer months. I would be wonderful to have these students create blogs about their experiences. In fact, next summer, our Art Club is going to Ireland. What a great opportunity to begin a project like this! I also liked the idea of incorporating classroom roles for research and communication with the social media. This gets absolutely everyone involved, and you're right, it is just as easy as collaborating with the classroom next door. Skype has brought everyone so close together worldwide, why not use that in education! This was very informative, and I found a lot of creative ideas that I hope to incorporate into my own LMC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Social media has grown in popularity so fast with students it is really hard to keep up. It comes back to the filtering controversy. Do we let students use these social media outlets at school? It is a hard decision to make. Online bullying in the social media relm is so quick and easy and everyone reads what is said about another student. Our 5th grade students have a blog site called edmodo. We have had several issues with bullying this year alone.

    On the other hand, this is the direction our society is going and we need to prepare students to deal with these issues. It is also a great tool for sharing and teaching about personal writing. Social media outlets bring a lot of resource possibilities, but problems as well. As educators I think the key is to be proactive in teaching students how to be good Internet users.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You showed some great ideas that have been used to incorporate social media into schools. I love how you even showed ways for primary students to get involved. There are so many possibilities for middle and high school, but its sometimes harder to find ways for the little guys. Another idea you mentioned that has a lot of ability to convince those in power of the benefit of social media in school is the "tutoring" aspect. If students have a place where they can ask their classmates for help with homework, everyone wins. The student that needs help gets the help and they don't have to get the courage to ask someone to their face, or even on the phone. The student that does the helping gets a better understanding of the concept from teaching it. This can even be adapted to be used with younger students. One night a week I try to give my students homework that is more challenging and will get them thinking. I could have a spot on social media where the parents could go to see how to attack the problem with their student. This would help those parents that don't know where to begin but might be embarrassed to ask. Thanks for some really great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting statistics! I really enjoyed learning about the statistics and reading your examples of how social media can assist in education. The examples really defined ways that social media can enhance student learning. This statement from your blog really stood out to me..."Since most public schools in fact block most social media tools, how can educators incorporate them into their curriculum? Is it necessary for educators to incorporate them?" I say the answer is yes! Our students are living in a digital world with social networking all around them. This is how they live and thrive. If educators want to grasp the attention of the students, social media offers an excellent solution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of using social networking to communicate with students in other countries. It sounds more manageable for students to tweet at school than for them to tweet school personnel at their leisure. It seems like I will be able to monitor it more closely. If I am not able to access the social networking website at school, I would not be able to do something like this during school hours. I would definitely not allow students to tweet from their personal smart phones while in my classroom due to school policy (as it stands right now).

    I am not totally against using social networking with students, but I believe in the district putting things in place that protect teachers and support the use of social networking before I will feel comfortable.

    I would be interested in being a part of social networking with coworkers. We can share ideas or remind each other about upcoming events.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the how you broke down the six different types of social media. I think many people are still new to the whole concept and are unaware of all the different ones available. It is true that the past ten years has completely changed in education. It is important that as teachers we introduce the latest technologies, those for the 21st century, to our students.
    I think the statistics were eye-opening. I found the one about 50% of schools using the internet within their school community to be lower than what I expected. I would have thought it would have been much higher. I wasn't shocked at just 41% of schhols using podcast or just 29% of schools using blogs as an instructional platform. These are newer technogies for many of the teachers and I feel that some are not comfortable using them.
    I agree that a few years ago when the idea of social networks came up many people automatically thought "myspace". This of course was considered inappropriate for schools. However with all the new and safer social networks available for use by students, I hope to see their use increasing in the schools.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for providing us with the list of the six types of social media. When I hear the term social media, I simply think of Facebook or MySpace, not any of the other examples you gave. It is always helpful to be reminded of various types of social media and the category in which they fit. I was shocked by the percentages of schools already using podcasts and blogs. I guess our school is just so far behind in terms of technology, it is easy for me to forget that not all schools are like ours. I love the idea of communicating with students in other countries. In Kindergarten, one of our social studies standards revolves around students discussing similarities and differences in the celebration of holidays. What better way to learn about Christmas in other countries than to actually talk with children who live in those countries.

    ReplyDelete