Web pages can be very useful for a school media center. It is a good way for the Library Media Specialist to communicate with parents, community members, teachers, and school administration. When creating your webpage, you must be aware of the do’s and don’ts of webpage design.
Do:
· Keep your page structured
· Focus on what is important: Make your intent for the webpage the focus…
· Choose the right color scheme
· Make it easy to scan your pages
· Keep it simple
· Set your navigation up properly
· Choose the right fonts and sizes
· Make your page visually appealing
Don’t:
· Just place boxes everywhere
· Place irrelevant information on your page
· Overdo the page with too many colors, fonts, and text sizes
· Write long paragraphs on your page
· Make your readers search for the intended content
· Make everything on your page an image
The guidelines are simple…
1) You should have good use of color. An appropriate color scheme will contain 2 or 3 primary colors that blend well and create a proper mood or tone for your webpage. Don't overdo the color, as it can distract from the written content.
2) Make your text easy to read. The most easily read combination is black text on a white background, but many other color combinations are acceptable if the contrast is within an appropriate range. Use fonts that are easy to read and are found on most of today's computer systems. Keep font size for paragraph text between 10 and 12 points.
3) Use meaningful graphics. Your graphics are important because they lend visual variety and appeal to an otherwise boring page of text. However, don't over-use them, and make sure that add meaning or context to your written content. Don’t overload any one page with more than 3 or 4 images.
4) Keep it simple and allow for adequate white space. Uncluttered layouts allow viewers to focus on your message. Don't overload your site with overly complex design, animation, or other effects just to impress your viewers.
My school system requires that all teachers and media specialists create and maintain a webpage. I feel that creating and maintaining a school webpage is a very important tool for staying in touch with families. It’s a great communication tool. Parents can visit my webpage to learn about current events, upcoming events, and to find useful links. After visiting many web pages from other schools, I plan to add my Policies and Procedures, a vision statement, and links to author websites to make my page more useful to parents and teachers. My media center webpage can be found at: http://www.gcbe.org/education/staff/staff.php?sectiondetailid=34076&
The American Library Association has best websites for teaching and learning. Click here to view these websites: http://www.ala.org/aasl/guidelinesandstandards/bestlist/bestwebsitestop25
I found that each webpage link has strengths and weaknesses. How do you think these compare to the do’s and don’ts guidelines?
You have some excellent suggestions for webpage design that I think will be helpful to all of us as we all begin to design our own for the upcoming webpage assignment. My favorite of your suggestions was number four: "Keep it simple and allow for adequate white space. Uncluttered layouts allow viewers to focus on your message..."
ReplyDeleteThere are so many wonderful links and resources out there that often media specialists will load their pages with links, pictures, documents, etc. This becomes overwhelming to students who already have a hard time locating the information they need. Just last week I was trying to show a student how to sign-in to access all of the passwords for our subscription based resources and even I had a difficult time finding the correct link in the midst of all of the other content! While all of that content on our site is wonderful, it becomes lost in the shuffle without "adequate white space."
I enjoyed reading through your website, learning about you, reading the newsletter, etc. and also really appreciate the link to the AASL's top 25 websites for teaching and learning.
Celena,
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with all that you wrote. How many times have we, as researchers, gone on a website that is chock full of graphics or sounds or pictures that seem too cluttered? I know that in the past, I have left webpages because of the clutter and confusion.
As a media specialist, it will be imperative that you communicate with parents and the community via a webpage, and it will become necessary to organize and structure material that is both easy to understand and relevant.
I think my school does an excellent job with the library media webpage. Ms. Turner has all relevant databases, the card catalog (Destiny) and the ebooks icons on the sides of the page. She leaves the middle of the page open for brief announcements for upcoming events and communication with parents and the community. The page has everything that is required and needed for a researcher, student or teacher. It is maintained by our technology department, so that requires her to constantly collaborate.
I'm a little jealous that your school system requires you to keep a webpage. My school system does not. I wish that I already knew how to create a webpage and maintain it. I guess I have so much more to learn. Great blog this week!
I like your school (Swain Elementary) website. It is tastefully done and easy to maneuver. I also like the ALA website. It has a lot of information to consider in the development of my own website. You also provided a very simple do and don't list in the development of a S.L.M.C. website. I use the same (do / don’t) concept for my class rules.
ReplyDeleteI am not new to website building, but web 2.0 has blown me away with potential that it offers. Web 2.0 is like a Tsunami. There are so many choices of technology to use, ideas and opportunities, that it is hard to make a decision. So, I believe it is a good idea, for whatever I choose, to allow some flexibility to change with the needs of my users and future changes in technology.
My Library Media Specialist Goal is to 'assist my students to learn and my teachers to teach'. To accomplish that, I must entice them to enter and have the content that they need, so that they will come back the next time they need something. That is why I must continuously listen to their needs and assess the technology tools (Web 2.0) available to insure that I am adapting the website to what the students and teachers use and need.
Yes, design and functionality are important. The website needs to be functional and practical. It needs to help me do my job. To accomplish that, I need to envision what a good website is and remove any impediments to student and teacher use. Is there one good template that meets all these needs? Because of the diverse needs of every student population, there probably is not. And that is why I need my platform to be adaptable, so that I can change as the customer needs change and as the capability of technology morphs.
My plan is to:
1. Assess the needs of your customers.
2. Develop a vision of what a good site is.
3. Assess impediments to its use by students and teachers.
4. Implement the plan.
5. Remain flexible.
I think your suggestions were great! I know I personally hate going to a website that is very busy and cluttered. Media center websites should look professional even if they are catered to elementary aged students. I think it is very important to make it simple, and user friendly. A media specialist I used to work with told me the best websites don't require you to scroll down. All the information you need is located with in the first half of the page. Having to scroll often caused you to lose readers. Also, I thnk media center webpages need to be very informative. In Cobb most media specialist are also their school webmasters, so often more of their effort goes to the main page and not their personl media center page.
ReplyDeleteI love the fact that your blog follows the guidelines of how to set up a webpage. I think it is great that you actually illustrated several of the key do’s and don’ts. Your blog was extremely easy to read because of the bulleted list and numbered section. It really reminded me of the importance of keeping it simple and to the point. It is easy to get carried away adding graphics and lengthy paragraphs, but we must remember the true intent of our website is to inform our patrons. While it is important to follow the basic principles of creating a successful webpage, we as media specialist must also take into consideration our audience. What works well for one media specialist or teacher may not work for another media specialist or teacher in a different school district.
ReplyDeleteYou have such great advice for all of us! Like you wrote, the media center web site is a great communication tool for students, parents, and teachers and we need to remember that as we create one by not overdoing it! Sometimes, you can go to a website and, while it has a lot of great information, it is so hard to read that you wind up being confused. If we are to keep media centers in the school setting, we have to be seen as an invaluable resource. A great website is a way to show it!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I liked your layout...it was so much easier to read! Great Job : )