So, do you know what a podcast is? Apple defines podcasts as audio or video files that are automatically delivered over a network and then played back on any Mac, PC, or Ipod. Podcasts have only existed for a few years. However, the amount of people listening or watching increases by at least 15% every month.
So now that we know what a podcast is, how would one make a podcast? According to Kristin Fontichairo, a media specialist in Birmingham, Michigan, all that one needs is a microphone, a computer, and inexpensive or free computer software to create your very own podcast. The software will help you to layer your podcast with narration, background music, and sound effects but to also publish your work. There are several programs such as Audacity, Camastia Studio, Quick Time 7 Pro, or iLife 08.
Now, have you ever listened to a podcast? Personally, I thoroughly enjoy being able to listen or in some cases watch a podcast. There are so many subjects that one can listen to! Have you ever wanted to be in a classroom at Harvard and learn about statistics? Or, how about listening to a tour of the British Museum? Well, there are podcasts for each. Overall there are 16 different groupings ranging from TV/Film to the Government that have been created to entice listeners about a broad range of subjects. Educators have begun to use this instrument to not only teach students about a particular subject but also teach them to vital 21st Century skills. Some of the best examples of this are:
- Coulee Kids’ Podcasts from the students at Longfellow Middle School in La Crosse, WI http://www.sdlax.net/longfellow/sc/ck/index.htm
- Countryside 4th Grade Podcasts of books they wrote (Mt. Laurel, NJ) http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=81739845
- Grandview Library Storytelling podcasts embedded in Grandview Elementary’s (Monsey, NY) library blog http://www.grandviewlibrary.org/StoryTelling.aspx
- Mills Murfee Podcasts from Mills Murfee Elementary School in Lubbock, TX http://millsmurfee.blogspot.com/
- Pioneer Podcasts Patton Elementary School’s (Austin, TX) monthly podcast http://www.austinisd.org/schools/website.phtml?id=092
- Radio WillowWeb from the students at Willowdale Elementary School in Omaha, NE http://www.mpsomaha.org/willow/radio/
- Speaking of History podcasts by 8th grade teacher Eric Langhorst, South Valley Junior High School in Liberty, MO http://www.speakingofhistory.blogspot.com/
- Top of the Fold podcasts embedded in Grandview Elementary School’s (Monsey, NY) news site http://www.grandviewlibrary.org/Fold/GrandviewNews.aspx



Rebrown1977
ReplyDeleteI am truly LOL (Laughing Out Loud) at the comic that you posted in your blog. Although, the comic was rather humorous, it is a reminder of how our students are progressing in technology much faster than most adults. I also did a Podcast blog posting, but I learned through your posting that a number of people listening and watching podcast are increasing by %15 each month. What I like most about Podcast is that they are easy to create and the material needed to create a Podcast is rather inexpensive to purchase. Most laptops already come equipped with the material (microphone, speakers, and camera) needed. I too think it’s wonderful that one can choose to learn about various topics all by simply downloading a Podcast.
Danica Peoples
Since many schools library programs are adding iPads to their inventory and many educators have their own now, using podcasts in the classroom is becoming easier. iTunes U has thousands of podcasts available, and many of them are free to download. Right now, I have downloaded readings by Alice Walker, Toni Morrison, and commentary on the work of Zora Neale Hurston. I also have some on the history of the Civil War for the Realism/Naturalism units in American Literature.
ReplyDeleteYou are right about listening to lectures at Harvard (as well as many other schools). In fact, they have many different lectures and conversations on their iTunes channel. The best part is, so many of these valuable teaching moments are free!
You gave some awesome examples!! This podcasting thing is growing on me the more I read about them. I will be honest and say that I am one of those people who can't listen to a broadcast only and pay attention. I have to SEE something - even it is just pictures. That's probably why I can't do audio books or NPR for very long; I get distracted. But you brought up great examples! I have never thought about podcasts being used that way!
ReplyDeleteI use United Streaming frequently in my classroom for my students to visualize certain things that they have never experienced (Hitler speaking comes to mind), but I have not had them create their own. I would love to do something like this as a final project of some sort. This generation is so technology-driven that we have to quit fighting it! I'm not how we do that, but something has to give. Our school system is still fighting EReaders. I needed to tell the student the due date of something in class this week, so I pulled out my cell phone. A few students gasped, but my calendar is on my phone and synched to my IPad. We throughly enjoy working with these new and innovative pieces of technology and our students will, too.
The links you provided were great. I particularly liked the podcasts from Grand View Library. I wish that they included the full story but I guess the point of those is to get students interested in the books in order to check them out and read them themselves. That is something we could all do in our school libraries pretty easily. I know of several parent volunteers off-hand that would happily read and record snippets like those that Grandview has on their Website. We could even have students record readings from their favorite sections of the book or create audio reviews of books and embed those links in a QR code on the book so that other students could listen to the readings/reviews to help them self-select books.
ReplyDeleteYour post also got me thinking about how I could use podcasting in my upcoming poetry unit (since poetry is truly meant to be heard) so I started searching and I found some great links to podcasts of poetry. Some poems can even be heard being read by the original poet on sites such as poetry foundation and poets.org. Poets.org also has a podcast at this link: http://www.learnoutloud.com/Podcast-Directory/Literature/Poetry/The-Poetsorg-Poetcast/20177#plink
Thanks for the inspiration!
I loved all the examples/sites you gave for podcasting! Such interesting and creative ways this technology is being used today! The statistic that you gave about podcast usage increasing 15% each month indicates the mass market appeal of podcasting. It is a cheap, inexpensive way for students to create something all their own. In the education world we live in today where words like “authentic assessment” and “differentiated learning” are a daily part of life, podcasting is a great way for students to be creative and design their own unique take on their studies. The only downfall at my school is that the internet filter blocks many podcasts. This is an issue that I hope to see addressed soon! Good Job!
ReplyDeleteI loved all of the examples that were given in the blog. I think podcasting is a great way to distribute information to a large group of students or teachers in a personal way. Each student or teacher can listen to a podcast and learn new information. They don't have to be in class or in a meeting. It can be done at a time that is good for the student or teacher.
ReplyDeleteIn Dr. Huett's class, in my Ed.S., we had podcast that were listening assignments. I listened to them on the beach on vacation. How great would that be for our students and fellow teachers?