Cartoon clip found at : http://www.glasbergen.com/education-cartoons/?album=4&gallery=85
The school librarian can use professional development as a means to make the library more visible and promote the school library program. Technology is linked with information literacy, and much effort must be made by schools today to keep up with the ever changing world of technology in which we live. Therefore, ongoing, up-to-date professional development must be a part of the school library program. The school library media specialist should play a role in presenting professional development sessions at the basic, introductory, and advanced levels to meet the needs of all teachers in the school.
Many times, teachers are not always eager to sit through professional development sessions. Here are do’s and don’ts:
DO:
· Assess your audience and yourself (perform a needs assessment to see what your teachers need to learn)
· Analyze the learners (know their level of expertise)
· Provide incentives for attending (talk with administration for ideas…snacks at the meeting, a dress down day, early leave pass, etc)
· Make sure you have a clear plan and related activities
· Give teachers guided practice time while you are present to assist when problems arise
· Evaluate the training (conduct a survey or send out a feedback form to learn what worked, didn’t work, or suggestions for improvements in future trainings)
· Use simple, one page handouts that teachers can take with them for reference
o Include pictures (a picture is worth a thousand words!!!)
o Screen shots
o Multiple colors and fonts to make it attractive
o Give clear directions
DON’Ts:
· Use long, multiple page handouts (these become overwhelming)
· Conduct long, draw-out sessions
· Lecture without activities and practice time
· Treat teachers like the children in your classroom
· Force teachers to use the technology (rather, enlist those eager to learn and use the new technology…their enthusiasm should spread!!!)
Training sessions will vary depending on the type of professional development being offered. Some trainings can be conducted in a large group setting where all members are in attendance. Other trainings can include on those needing special trainings. Keep in mind that you are training adult learners not the students you teach each day in your classroom. These are special learners with multiple responsibilities. It is essential to make professional development meaningful, enthusiastic, and in short segments (be respectful of teacher’s time).
In my school, I serve as the coordinator of technology professional development and as the media specialist. At the beginning of each school year, I conduct a survey to ask teachers what technology trainings they are in need of. In addition, I look into new technologies that are essential for student learning that I can deliver to my teachers. I ways find that my teachers have a wide range of technology skills and expertise. There are many novice learners, many in between, and many expert learners. The surveys and new technology resources become the focus of the year’s technology trainings, and teacher level of expertise is always considered. Training sessions are kept short and only teachers needing the information are asked to attend. Some sessions include the entire school while others only include a select group of people. My school tries to keep technology trainings to one to two sessions every two months because teacher time is so crunched. I have found that giving teachers a handout with visuals is a very successful way to ensure the training is successful. It gives learners something to take back with them to use when they try out the new technology. For example, my school began using ActivInspire this school year and did away with ActiPrimary and ActivStudio. The features are much different with this updated software. Therefore, the first training session for the school year focused on this topic because this was an essential component for teaching using their interactive boards.
Professional development in the area of technology is essential. It’s that plain and simple. Following do’s and don’ts help the library media specialist as he/she tries to share knowledge and expertise. The most important thing to remember is that you must respect teachers’ time, keep it simple (KISS), and be enthusiastic because that is contagious!

I love the cartoon! It is so cute! As I read your blog, I was interested to hear about your survey of the teachers early in the year and then basing the technology training schedule on the results of that survey. That sounds like a good plan. With technology, it is always good to learn in short sessions and then having time to practice what was learned. I like your rule of keeping technology training simple, respecting the teachers' time, and being enthusiastic. Teaching teachers is different, and I think you've included some good ideas in your post that I will use.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post! I cannot tell you how many times I have told the teachers on my team that we need professional development for technology. I feel like all the schools keep preaching that we need to use more technology in our classrooms but no one is sending the teachers out to receive the training. The teachers in my school aren’t even receiving training by our SLMS in our own building. I feel like this class is the only “training” I am receiving.
ReplyDeleteYour “Do’s” and “Don’ts” were great suggestions – I know I am very tired of reading pamphlets that are delivered in my inbox at work. I agree that the teacher’s time is very precious, but I also know that having a mini lesson on technology would be helpful to us, if done correctly.
Two components of your plan struck my as vital. I love the idea of guided practice time during the professional development. so many times I have attended staff development in which a talking head lectured and we were expected to return to our classrooms and use the software presented without any practice. It always amazes me that we understand the need for guided practice with our students and do not provide it for adults. Personally, I am hopeless unless I can immediately practice with new technology. I am always clamoring for a handout! If I can go away from a session with a handout that I can then punch and add to my technology notebook, I will be successful. Also, it cuts down on the number of queries to the tech department which is constantly overworked. I love that you perform need assessment at the start of the year. Nothing wastes more time in education than forcing teachers to sit through development that they do not need or plan to use. I have long thought follow up would be a good idea. Frequently, someone presents a new idea or technology and then disappears. No one ever follows up to see if teachers are using it or if they are struggling.
ReplyDeleteI have to admit that the first thing I did was to go and look at the cartoon clips. I found one that I am going to have to use. I liked the fact that you composed a list of Do's and Don'ts for professional development. I agree that it is very important to assess the needs of your audience and to analyze their level of expertise. If you are presenting information that they already knonw and that they are experts on then it will be a waste of time for you and them. It is also very important to have a clear and organized plan. The one DO that is always a group pleaser is the "incentive" to attend and this is especially true if it is in the form of food.
ReplyDeleteThe Don'ts were right on target including the one about multiple pages and long lecture sessions. We know we hate to sit in that type of meeting and we sure don't want to inflict that kind of pain on others.
As you stated in your post, the type of sessions will depend on the type of professional development being offered. Some of the sessions can be large group setting, however other may need to be smaller especially if everyone is being taught to use a new device or program. You will need to be able to assist them in this hands-on setting.
As you stated..."The most imortant thing to remember is that you must respect teachers' time, keep it simple, and be enthusiastic.
I really enjoyed reading your post. I have thought many times that we need more development as a faculty on the technology that we have. Also, administration is looking for the use of the technology in the classroom, so you would think more development would go forward. Many times I have had to teach myself how to use certain technologies, however not everyone is as motivated.
ReplyDeleteYou are correct that teachers have many responsibilities. Making the training fun and interactive is a way to get teachers involved. Also, having a good incentive never hurts. I am not the media specialist at my school and now realize that we don't get technology training from the media center. Thanks for your post. I realize that I am ever learning....
I could not agree more with your statement that teachers are not eager to sit through professional development sessions. If the instructors followed the “Do” Guidelines you provided, I honestly believe I would be much more willing to actively participate. In my five years of teaching, I have been asked only once what type of professional would best suite my personal needs. Why they asked I do not know. Many of the teachers requested similar professional development, but administration did not follow through with the training. A needs assessment is only useful if you actually take into consideration the requested needs. I love the idea of a one page handout for future reference; no one has time to read through pages of information. For me personally, I enjoy professional development sessions in which I walk out of the training with something that I can take directly into my classroom and use immediately. Your last statement is great. I truly respect anyone and everyone who respects my time.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post about technology trainings, and I appreciated your "Do's and Don'ts" list for professional development. I completely agree with your statement about giving teachers surveys as a needs assessment. Teachers do not look forward to professional development sessions, but I think if they have some choice in what they are learning, it makes it easier to keep their attention. I also think that just as we have to differentiate in the classroom as teachers, professional development should be prescribed to fit the teachers' needs and wants as well. I know that I (as a pretty well-informed technology teacher) do not want to sit through a basic technology training on things I can either figure out myself or already know how to do. I also know that someone who can barely work their Activeboard does not want to learn all about the lastest and greatest interactive tools before they can make a flipchart. Giving teachers the ability to choose what they want to learn builds their interest. I also think that technology trainings need to be interactive because there have been many times where I watch someone do something on the computer, heck, even take notes on it, but then completely forget how to do it a week later. BOTH teachers and students learn by being able to experience the technogy...not just watch someone using it.
ReplyDeleteI think you are right about the role of the media specialist in information literacy because who else knows it as well? Our main function is to not only encourage students to develop the skills necessary to use information literacy but to also ensure they leave with them!
ReplyDeleteI also totally agree that professional development is needed to teach educators about information literacy and that is should be concise as well as relevant. It is not much fun to be stuck in a meeting all day learning about how to create a blog when I have three active blogs. Just like you stated, development should be designed around the level of he user!